Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Slow cooker Minestrone soup is an easy-to-make soup that is full of so much flavor as it is loaded with fresh vegetables, beans, and pasta that is then topped with parmesan cheese.
I really enjoy a bowl of soup, especially when it is so easy to make and its very good for you. This slow cooker minestrone soup checks all the boxes. It is hearty, full of protein, has tons of vegetables, and it is a fix it and forget it kind of soup thus making it a great meal option on your busiest of nights.
What is minestrone soup?
Minestrone soup is traditionally made up of vegetables, beans, and pasta (Ditalini) with a chicken broth base.
Is Minestrone soup healthy?
Minestrone is considered a healthy soup. It is low in fat and has fewer calories than many other soups. The pasta does make it higher in carbs, but it is still a great soup to eat.
1 tablespoon butter
2 small white onions, chopped
4 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 celery, chopped
1 cup baby spinach
2 carrots, peeled & chopped
1 zucchini, diced
2 bay leaves
Salt & pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dry sage
2 teaspoons dry thyme
6 cups chicken broth
2 – 14oz cans diced tomatoes
1 white beans, drained
1 ½ cups ditalini pasta
½ cup parmesan cheese, for garnish
How to make slow cooker Minestrone Soup
- Saute onion, garlic, celery, carrots, thyme, sage, salt & pepper in butter until soft
- Place in bottom of slow cooker
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, and beans
- Cook on low in your slow cooker for 5-6 hours
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in zucchini, spinach, and pasta
- Cook until the pasta is tender
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with parmesan, serve, and enjoy!
Tips Tricks and FAQs
- This recipe calls for white beans, but you can easily swap them out for kidney beans if you choose.
- Feel free to add in more vegetables if you choose. Adding Potatoes are a great addition if you want to make it even more hearty.
- If you don’t have any ditalini noodles, you can swap them out for another small pasta like mini shells.
- Be sure to not overcook your pasta. This will cause it to get mushy.
You will want to store this in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
After the soup has been cooled completely, you may place it in containers to store in your freezer. Its easy to pull a bowl of soup out of the freezer and place it in the fridge to thaw overnight.
Soup is easily reheated on the stove in a pan on low to medium heat. It is normal for the noodles to absorb some of the broth causing the noodles to become softer and expand.
Is Minestrone Soup Vegan?
If you would like to make this a Vegan Minestrone soup you can omit the parmesan cheese and swap out the chicken broth for a vegetable broth.
Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Slow cooker Minestrone soup is an easy to make soup that is full of so much flavor as it is loaded with fresh vegetables, beans, and pasta that is then topped with parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 small white onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry sage
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 - 14oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 white beans, drained
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 ½ cups ditatlini pasta
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, for garnish
Saute onion, garlic, celery, carrots, thyme, sage, salt & pepper in butter until soft
Place in bottom of slow cooker
Stir in broth, tomatoes, and beans
Cook on low 5-6 hours
In the last 30 minutes of cooking stir in zucchini, spinach, and pasta
Cook until pasta is tender
Ladle into bowls, garnish with parmesan, serve, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 990mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g